Friday, February 15, 2008

A Tiny Fist

Yesterday, a six-year-old white girl stood on a snowbank in front of my house with her fist in the air, and said, "I am Martin Luther King Jr and I have a dream that everyone will be nice to each other." I almost died with feelings of scarlet pride, pitch-black depression, utter hopelessness, and a renewed vigor to save the world from the human race. And as per usual, now that time has passed, I'm feeling lazy again and only a few days, mere hours, have passed.
Wouldn't it be grand to have a tiny child stand on the front porch of my mind every morning as I wake and shout this phrase, to remind me what's at stake that day and every day thereafter?

1 comment:

AaronLYoung said...

I find offensive your comment on "saving the world from the human race". It's offensive because you used the term 'race' and race is only an issue if you're a bigot. It would be more politically correct to simply leave race out entirely. The improved version would read "saving the world from the human." That makes much more sense and doesn't offend anyone. Or succeeds at offending everyone. I'm not sure which. In any case, you're the bigot and not me.