Thursday, February 7, 2008

When Girl Scouts Attack

Some colleagues and I were talking about the line of decency in media these days (and the grander scale of "art" for that matter, whatever the hell that means), and I decided it was a fallacy to call it a line, because that would imply some inherent, universal definition or static position or location, and that's just not the truth.

Here's an example [This is a joke I found online]:
An old-ish man and a young boy are in the a forest (clearly the middle of nowhere), and the caption reads:
BOY: Mister, I'm scared.
MAN: _You're_ scared? I'm the one who has to walk home alone in the dark!

Now, to me, that's hilarious. But to someone who has actually had a child abducted or hurt/killed by some creepy pedophile, that's not funny at all. Racist jokes are the same, for the most part. I'm sure I don't need to give examples for you to get the point. On the other hand, the father of one of my good friends says, "It's not a joke unless there's a victim."

So, the line of decency is more of a thick band, where an infinite number of lines are drawn by individuals and those lines can change depending on circumstances, past and future experiences, contexts, times of the day/week/month/year/decade/millenium. It's a blurry, vibrating incarnation of Value or Morality. There are certain things that are so ridiculously over the line/band that one could never argue that it's okay...but who knows? As the morality of Human Culture continues to change, so too will the concept of what's considered acceptable.

No comments: